Friday, March 31, 2006

Variance....

Variance: A difference between what is expected and what actually occurs.

And that is putting it lightly the way variance has hit me of late. I cannot remember a time in the past couple of years that good decision making continually goes unrewarded. I can't count the number of times I was runner-runnered as a favorite. It got to a point that all I could do is say unbe-fuckin-leavable.

Rationally, I cannot be upset at the beats, because over time good decisions pay off. I want these players at my table continuing to call my bets when they are behind or drawing thin. During these runs, it's the psychological part of the game that makes poker difficult for me. I find that when I am in the midst of a run like the past couple weeks, I do not get the value I should from my good hands. I play hyper aggressive with my monsters to avoid the beats, and too conservative when I may have a slight edge, losing value on both ends. Rationally I know I should not be playing this way, but psychologically I only remember the last 428 times when I was in the same situation, the opposition sucked out. This my own private tilt hell. It's not the beats that put me on tilt, its my reaction and change in play that does. Nothing a couple of days away from the tables won't fix.

After a couple days of being placed on poker restriction, and mandatory reading homework, I get back to tilt free poker. And to double my pleasure, the variance monkey has swung in the other direction, hands hold up, and all is well again. After what seemed like forever and not making the money in any of the SNG's I played, I placed 2nd in back to back 30+3's, with my ROI over the past 34 SNG's getting back to where it should be. Even though this is a small sample in the grand scheme, it's easy to tell when variance is on your side or against you. It's becoming more appearant to me that taking a break for a day or two does me a world of good. Your mileage may vary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home