Monday, March 13, 2006

I Still Have no Idea What I Was Doing - WPBT Event #1

Well THAT was interesting to say the least. Congratulations to StB who won the first event of the WPBT-POY Circuit. Thanks again to Biggstron for putting this together. We have here great group of people here in this poker blog space, and I'm looking forward to future events, as well as hopefully meeting some of you in the greater NYC area.

I somehow managed to out last 44 of the 54 runners in last nights inaugural event in the WPBT-POY series. Although 10th meant I was the bubble boy, with DoubleDave going out in the same hand, in the money and 9th. Its good to see that he put my chips to good use from not one, but two earlier double ups courtesy of yours truly. I suppose I should have waited it out and folded my small blind to Iggy, but I continued with the pedal to the metal, even on the bubble. So aside from not letting DoubleDave go bust first, I have to say my first foray into Omaha Hi, was a marginal success.

Current WPBT-POY Standings after Event #1

Having never played Omaha Hi, and only reading bits and pieces here and there on the game, what did I learn? I could be totally off on this observation, or it could be Omaha 101, but it seems that pocket pairs even high pockets aren't nearly as valuable as it would seem. The exception to that, would be highly valued HAMMER Rockets, AA72! Another observation is that generally you have many more outs in a hand. Its easy to see now that drawing hands are so much more valuable in this game than Hold-Em. And third, its way to easy to play too loose in this game. It took getting below T900 for me to realize that I was playing way too many hands before the first break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home